Mapuche day trip + Unique ancestral cooking class adventure
- Duration: 7 hours
- Difficulty level: Easy
- Adventure Fee: 57 USD / $45.000 CLP
Mapuche means “people from the Land”, everything they do has a strong connection with nature and ancestral life. Their cuisine, food and flavors are always present in Chilean traditional recipes.
Join us in this is a unique opportunity to meet a local mapuche community, visiting a semi rural area close to Peñablanca in the V region, learning, sharing and cooking in a local “Ruka” (traditional Mapuche house). Mapuche cuisine depends from the fruits that provides the local territory, then some of the ingredients will be locally produced.
Let’s share and celebrate winter in life with group luncheon, hosted by Carmen Lancucheo and Graciela Carihuentro two incredible and sweets mapuche women from whom you will discover the secrets of a Mapuche’s millenary culture through the experiences of food and flavors cooking and sharing in an authentic “ruka” (mapuche typical house) where you’ll learn the culinary traditions that have been passed down from many generations before the origin of territory of Chile.
- You will be picked up by private transportation from your home/hotel in Viña del Mar/Valparaíso. If you are in Santiago please let us know, there’s a private shuttle service with limited cupes that would pick you up at 8:30 for an additional extra fee of $15.000 CLP
- We will start our journey with hiking guided (around the Ruka Lawen area) to collect leaves from native trees and bushes for infusions preparations
- Approximately 1 hour of workshop
- Deep Nature connection session and learnings about mapuche’s wordvision from our expert guide during the hike
- Return to Ruka Lawen
- Snack box meal and coffee/tea
- After the snack we will start the cooking class with an introduction to mapuche cuisine and learn about the mapuche food and local ingredients and recipes, this time we will learn how to cook “Charquican”(main course) , “Pebre con merken”, “cochayuyo”, “sopaipillas mapuches”, “catutos/Multrun”, Millokin, Tortilla de rescoldo. Prepare de beverage as infusion and Muday, to finishing with an introduction to mapuche desert preparation.
- We’ll start the cooking session working by groups and task determined by the recipes.
- Lunch time 😛
- Dessert time 😀
- Approximate time of arrival to Viña del mar/Valparaíso travelers will be taken to their house/hotel in Valparaíso/Vina del Mar. (probably 1 hour later if your drop off is in Santiago)
- Private Transportation from Valparaiso/Vina del Mar (please tell us if you need transport from Santiago)
- Snack and water refill
- Lunch (with food locally produced)
- Eating what you cooked
- Beverages including a glass of Chilean wine
- Bilingual landscape expert local guide
- All the ingredients, kitchen apron and utensils
- Recipes sent to Whatsapp or email
What’s not included?:
- Optional tips and gratuities for guides
- Travel insurance
Personal equipment needed:
Light and comfortableclothing , bottle of water (we could refill them), and comfortable backpack.
Bring your camera if you have.
* This adventure is suitable for vegetarians
* *This adventure is suitable for childrens from 10 years old, just let us know if you want to join with kids.
Here some examples of what you will cook and eat: